Wednesday, June 27, 2012

CIP Codes

Summary: These are codes used by the Department of Education. They represent, I think, national understandings of what these terms mean (such as rhetoric and composition). The tables can be accessed here.

Response: Firstly, I noticed a good bit of overlap between the definitions (writing, professional writing, etc.). I'm not sure of the significance of these codes, to be honest, other than to show what the government thinks we're doing when we're studying, say, rhetoric. The website looks like you can use the codes to do research, but I found the site difficult to navigate.

Uses: I'm not sure.

1 comment:

  1. Funny that these are used for the government to show what they think we're doing, rather than an opportunity for us to show what we ARE doing.

    ReplyDelete